With all of the holes drilled on the top of
the wing I flipped it over to day to
finished up some things on the bottom.
So in the pic here, the wing is upside
Notice the space between the spar
extension and the skin. Zenith made this
spar extension with out holes so I can match
drill them to my skin, but the spar
extension is slightly shorter than the spar.
So there is a space between the extension
Here's another pic where the gap is visible.
The gap was actually quite small and looks
larger in the photos.
The nice thing about building the RV-7 is
that it came with a bunch of scrap aluminum
of different thicknesses.
I cut a piece to fit between the spar
extension and skin.
Then I inserted it before I drilled the
holes. Now they are all match drilled and
you can see there is no more space between
the spar and skin.
Next I moved onto the strut attachment. With
the "OK" from Zenith I notched the aluminum
angle because it did not fit under the strut
attachment and the skin.
Then I clamped this bracket to the L and
drilled the holes to Number 40 while it was
all clamped and mounted to the wing.
I drilled two of the holes, inserted the
silver cleco and took it off the wing to
drill the other holes. After I drilled them
all to #40 I opened them all up to #30.
As I removed the last silver cleco to open
it's hole to #30 I saw this! It boggles my
mind how this happened! I'm thinking the
drill bit slipped out of the holes when I
match drilled it and I didn't notice.
But oh well...I'll order
two new parts from Zenith and move on. It
will only take a few minutes to make the new
ones and then this wing is ready for disassembly,
scuffing, priming, and riveting!